The Precedent Setter Awards recognize Toronto lawyers who have shown excellence and leadership in their early years of practice.
Here you’ll find everything you need to know about the Awards process, including:
- An Awards overview
- Details on what should be included in the nomination package
- The nominator’s cover sheet (Doc)
Precedent Magazine profiles the next generation of lawyers, features their experiences and engages them on the topics they care about. The Precedent Setter Awards recognize Toronto lawyers called to the bar in the last 10 years who have shown excellence and leadership in their practice and their community.
- Be in their first 10 years of practice.
- Have been called to the bar in Ontario between 2009 and 2018 (inclusive).
- Be currently practising law in Toronto.
- Letters of nomination may come from any member of the legal community who has worked closely with — and can speak to the qualities and achievements of — the nominee.
- The deadline for nominations is 5 p.m. on Friday, January 25, 2019.
- Further information about the nomination process can be found in the Nomination Package below.
- The panel of judges will be made up of lawyers who are leaders in their fields and representative of the diversity of the legal profession.
- The panel will review each application that meets the eligibility criteria.
- The decision of the panel is at its absolute discretion and is final. There is no right of appeal against any decision.
- Winners will be notified in March and will be featured in the 2019 summer issue of Precedent Magazine.
The Precedent Setter Awards recognize Toronto lawyers who have shown excellence and leadership in their early years of practice. Nominations are welcome from any member of the legal community who has worked closely with — and can speak to the qualities and achievements of — the nominee.
In no more than two typed pages, provide specific examples of why you believe this individual is a true Precedent Setter. For example, describe how the individual has achieved professional excellence and set a standard for peers, acted as mentor or role model to other lawyers, advanced opportunities for women or minorities practicing law, incorporated pro bono or community work into their practice and generally set the bar for fellow lawyers practicing in Toronto.
- Include the completed nominator’s cover sheet (Doc) with your letter.
- Include a résumé of the nominee.
The fine print:
- Please do not include more than the required materials, as supplementary documentation will not be considered.
- It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that nomination packages are complete.
- Prior to making their submission, nominators must advise the nominee that their name is being put forward.
- Please note that none of the application materials will be returned and remain strictly confidential, to be seen only by the Precedent Setter Awards judging panel.
- All nomination packages must be submitted electronically.
- Nominations must be received at Precedent no later than 5 p.m. on January 25, 2019.
Please return your completed nomination package to:
For further information, please contact Daniel Fish at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-929-4495.
Check out the profiles of all past winners:
2018 Precedent Setter Awards
2017 Precedent Setter Awards
2016 Precedent Setter Awards
2015 Precedent Setter Awards
2014 Precedent Setter Awards
2013 Precedent Setter Awards
2012 Precedent Setter Awards
2011 Precedent Setter Awards
2010 Precedent Setter Awards