Precedent Setter Awards
The Precedent Setter Awards recognize Toronto lawyers who have shown excellence and leadership in their early years of practice.
Here you’ll find everything you need to know about the 2023 nomination process, including:
- An awards overview.
- Details on what should be included in the nomination package.
- The nominator’s cover sheet.
Precedent Magazine profiles the next generation of lawyers, features their experiences and engages them on the topics they care about. The Precedent Setter Awards recognize Toronto lawyers called to the bar in the last 10 years who have shown excellence and leadership in their practice and their community.
To be eligible for an Award, a nominee must:
- Be in their first 10 years of practice.
- Have been called to the bar in Ontario between 2013 and 2022 (inclusive).
- Currently practise law in Toronto.
Precedent seeks to recognize lawyers that reflect the diversity of the profession and strongly encourages nominations of lawyers from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Letters of nomination may come from any member of the legal community who has worked closely with — and can speak to the qualities and achievements of — the nominee.
- The deadline for nominations is December 7, 2022.
- Further information about the nomination process can be found in the Nomination Package below.
- The panel of judges will be made up of lawyers who are leaders in their fields and representative of the diversity of the legal profession.
- The panel will review each application that meets the eligibility criteria.
- The decision of the panel is at its absolute discretion and is final. There is no right of appeal against any decision.
- Winners will be notified in the winter and will be featured in the spring 2023 issue of Precedent Magazine.
The Precedent Setter Awards recognize Toronto lawyers who have shown excellence and leadership in their early years of practice. Nominations are welcome from any member of the legal community who has worked closely with — and can speak to the qualities and achievements of — the nominee.
In no more than two typed pages, tell us why you believe this individual is a true Precedent Setter. The nomination letter should provide specific examples of the nominee’s legal excellence and contributions to the community.
When outlining the nominee’s professional accomplishments, please describe legal work that can be disclosed to the public if the nominee is selected as a winner. Common examples include whether the individual handled a notable file or has become the trusted advisor to an important client. In each instance, make it clear whether the nominee led the legal work or supported a more senior lawyer who oversaw the file.
To illustrate the nominee’s leadership qualities, the nomination letter should provide specific examples along with context to help our judges understand the scale and scope of the individual’s contributions. The letter might describe how the nominee acted as mentor or role model to other lawyers, advanced opportunities for equity-seeking groups, took on pro bono or community work and generally set the standard for fellow lawyers practising in Toronto.
- Include the completed nominator’s cover sheet with your letter.
- Include a resumé of the nominee.
The fine print:
- Please do not include more than the required materials. Supplementary documentation will not be considered.
- It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that nomination packages are complete.
- Prior to making their submission, nominators must advise the nominee that their name is being put forward.
- Please note that none of the application materials will be returned and remain strictly confidential, to be seen only by the Precedent Setter Awards judging panel.
- All nomination packages must be submitted electronically.
- Nominations must be received at Precedent no later than 5 p.m. on December 7, 2022.
Please return your completed nomination package to:
For further information, please contact the editorial team at email@example.com or (416) 929-4495.
Check out the profiles of our past winners:
2022 Precedent Setter Awards
2021 Precedent Setter Awards
2020 Precedent Setter Awards
2019 Precedent Setter Awards
2018 Precedent Setter Awards
2017 Precedent Setter Awards
2016 Precedent Setter Awards
2015 Precedent Setter Awards
2014 Precedent Setter Awards
2013 Precedent Setter Awards
2012 Precedent Setter Awards
2011 Precedent Setter Awards
2010 Precedent Setter Awards