- GET AWAY Have the vacation itch? Go local: perfectday.ca offers one-day and weekend experiences in Ontario. Learn how to mix a mean martini, take a photography class, or get behind the wheel of a Lamborghini Murcielago. Going further afield? See what breakfast in India or Carnival in St. Martin really look like: travelistic.com has 7,865 travel videos from around the world. Stay interesting: at unusualhotelsoftheworld.com you can book into a retrofitted concrete sewage pipe or a 13th century chateau — your vacation story just got loads better. Beyond the horizon: check out Lawyers without Borders for lawyer to lawyer mentorships and overseas jobs at various NGOs: lwob.org
Luxury travel: abercrombiekent.com
The lowdown on world class cities: gridskipper.com
Really, really good travel writing: worldhum.com
- GET IN TOUCH Do blogs make you want to blarf? Stay in touch with your industry, friends, and interests using Twitter. Its beauty is brevity: users type what they’re up to in only 140 characters. It’s perfect for headline-sized updates, most with a link to more information. Stay in the legal loop by following the editor of law21.ca (twitter.com/Jordan_law21), and law librarian Connie Crosby (twitter.com/conniecrosby). Or follow Gowlings’ lead and tweet for your firm: twitter.com/gowlings_law. Other Twitters to follow: twitter.com/osler_law and twitter.com/LegalBlogWatch
- GET STYLISH Men, need a push to get out of the grey suit? GQ and Details are behind men.style.com. Try the fashion section’s “trend reports” for easy ways to latch onto a new look. Ladies, if you haven’t seen “Sandy’s Basic Smokey Eye” video, you shouldn’t be holding a makeup brush. Go to popular Canadian makeup artist Sandy Gold’s website (happiface.com) for the best how-to guides in the business. Hankering for that new Marc Jacobs trench but can’t find it in Holts? Net-a-porter.com delivers.
- GET INSPIRED Add sparkle to your small talk with TED.com. This annual conference challenges the world’s best thinkers — from Stephen Hawking to Peter Gabriel — to give the talk of their lives, in 18 minutes. For a CanCon treat, the National Film Board just launched its digital archives. At nfb.ca, watch 700 free clips and films, from schoolroom classics like The Sweater to great new docs like Carts of Darkness, profiling the extreme shopping-cart racing bottle collecters of Vancouver.
- GET ENGAGED Online dating is the new after-work happy hour. eHarmony.com is a full-service site that suggests psychologically-suited suitors. It offers a safe introduction to e-dating, and most daters are looking for long-term love. Match.com is a happy medium between eHarmony and the free sites like plentyoffish.com, where your little brother probably finds his dates. Find a quirkier date (filmmakers and graphic designers abound) on The Onion’s personals site (personals.theonion.com) or nerve.com.